August 26, 2009

Box Top

Why you should NEVER text while driving


I know I'm repeating myself, but when the commandment is this important, that's what Mother needs to do, over and over again, until everyone gets it. And that goes double when she has amazingly disturbing video backup from a British public service spot. So here it is, with thanks to Mr. Hughes for creating it and to her friends Laura and Kim for finding and passing it on:




Sure it's staged, but if you are tempted to blow it off on that account, here's why you absolutely should not, in the words of its creator, Peter Hughes:

"Yes it is violent, but the reality of a fatal road accident is much more gruesome, is much more violent and my position on this is that if you are old enough to drive, if you are old enough to want to drive, you are old enough to be aware of the real and serious risks one places yourself in every time you get behind the wheel."

And one more caution from Mother R: As a guy, Mr. Hughes may not be aware of this, but as the daughter, wife and mother of guys, I am, so let me be clear. You guys who are saying to yourselves that this doesn't apply to you because they were girls and that would NEVER happen to you (you know who you are) are wrong, so you can just get over that little delusion right now. And you can stop protesting, because you know I'm right.

In short, just don't do it! Period. And frankly, I'd lay off the cell phone chatting too. Enough said. I'm off to teach my driver safety class now and trusting you all to have a nice safe day, on and off the road.

Labels: , ,

Box Bottom

2 Comments:

Anonymous MaryBeth said...

This video scares the hell out of me. I told Kelli she's to never have a cell phone in her hand, law or not, while behind the wheel. I also told her that while she's going to be eligible for her license in January, she is not READY yet for her license...and well....mommy isn't ready yet for that phone call that there's been an accident. Thanks for the blog and putting these videos up. Sometimes it's easy to forget how vulnerable we are.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Riders on the Road said...

It's terrifying, isn't it? I still remember those phone calls vividly, even so many years later, with gratitude that for us only the cars were wrecked and not the kids. Thank goodness Kelli has a smart mom and inherited the good sense to keep her safe out there!

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Box Top Box Bottom