January 17, 2010

Box Top

And driving is not the only thing we should NOT do while texting


Walking and texting together are also causing plenty of trouble out there. Yes, I know we've covered this topic before (Have I issued a commandment lately?) but in case you've forgotten this pearl of wisdom from
Riders on the Road, I'll repeat it here:

Remember, just because your mother nags you doesn't mean she isn't right.

The New York Times gets it, and considers it front page news today (Forget Gum. Walking and Using a Phone is Risky). Matt Richtel describes some entertaining examples, like the poor woman who walked into a truck, a guy who walked into a telephone pole and a young lady who walked into a store window, along with alarming ER data from 2008 and fascinating studies on multitasking that examine "inattention blindness" and the conditions that cause it. It's a very interesting article; check it out.

Or if you prefer, just do as I say because I said so. Either way, we'll all be safer out there, and mother will be very proud.
Thanks!

Box Bottom

2 Comments:

Blogger Marcia said...

Thank you for pointing out the article to me. However, it sets off two of my pet peeves:
1) walking or driving while texting
2) subject/verb conflict. Shouldn't the NY Times headline be "Walking and Using Phone ARE Risky"?

10:22 PM  
Blogger Mother Rider said...

Good points, Marcia, thanks.

1) is also one of mine which is why I keep harping on it

2) went right over my head because I had my reporting hat on instead of my proofreading hat. And you KNOW I hate subject/verb conflicts!

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Box Top Box Bottom