August 26, 2009

Box Top

Watch out for creepy web DMV scammers

The real Vermont DMV issued a warning today that scammers are trying to weasel credit card information from Vermont drivers by pretending to offer convenient DMV services online. Apparently the setup looks pretty realistic, making it easy to be fooled if we're not careful. So if you find yourself looking for DMV services at a web address other than www.dmv.state.vt.us, it is fake. Get out of there in a hurry, and DO NOT enter any personal information, especially credit card numbers. For genuine Vermont DMV services, you can follow the link above, or navigate to the real site via Vermont.gov. And you can find the complete warning here:
Bogus Vermont DMV website discovered

It's always something, isn't it?
Box Bottom

2 Comments:

Blogger Marcia said...

Thanks, Trish! I say you should be careful whenever you give out your credit card number, for whatever reason. In fact, maybe we should all just cut up our credit cards. Last week I wrote a check to the Denver Manager of Revenue (which is the Motor Vehicle Division in the jurisdiction where I live). I sent it by UPS so I could trace it if it got lost. You'd better believe I would never give my credit card number for something like that.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Riders on the Road said...

Good for you! I would not have thought of that. And I have to admit that I may have become a little too casual about using credit cards online, although I'm always careful to watch for the https, and to make sure the cute little locked padlock is in the right place, even when it means putting on my glasses. Plus I never follow email links any more (including the usual ones that look perfectly legit), but use my own bookmarks or google the company to find its direct addresss. As they say, just because we're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after us!

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Box Top Box Bottom