January 17, 2011

Box Top

Mother has a dream


Would it be in bad taste to steal, I mean build on, the Rev. Dr. King's powerful concept? I don't think so; he seems like the kind of guy who would be glad to share, especially for a good cause. Sure, Mother's dream is somewhat different from the inspiring dream we celebrate today, but it's an excellent dream nonetheless. Would you like to hear it? Here goes...


I have a dream that one day all of us will travel together in peace on the roads of America. And I mean ALL of us, from the tiniest pedestrian to the biggest monster truck. Yes, even the bikers, the Hummers and the pokey little Subarus.

I have a dream that safety belts everywhere will be buckled and helmets will be worn every time, not because it's the law but because we know better, and we are much too responsible to stick our family, friends and emergency responders with the tragic consequences of our carelessness.

I have a dream that we will watch where we're going, avoid distractions, and absolutely never, ever, text or chat on the phone while we're driving. or get behind the wheel while impaired.

I have a dream that we will keep our windshields and windows clean, and our mirrors and lights too (and clean means not just dirt, but ice, snow and crap on the dashboard or the back window), because visibility is a key factor in getting there in one piece, without smashing into anyone or anything, and because my Dad, the father of salubrious driving, said so.

I have a dream that drivers will merge in a safe and orderly fashion, and remember to take turns when the situation calls for it (say at lane closures or 4-way stops), that they will refrain from excessive honking and taking up two parking spaces, that they will use their signals when turning or changing lanes and never tailgate or obstruct the traffic behind them. And if it isn't too much trouble, I'd like them to try not to go too slow or too fast.

I have a dream that we will treat our fellow travelers with patience and courtesy always, greet them with cheery waves occasionally, and never, ever display rude gestures or aggressive behavior.

I have a dream that
from I-5 to I-95, I-10 to I-94, US 1 to US 101, the Lincoln Highway to Route 66, all of God's licensed drivers will travel together in salubrious harmony all the days of our lives, unless we can think of an excuse to just stay home.

And that's my dream - considerably less grand than the original, but still worth doing. So if you don't mind, let's start making my dream come true first thing tomorrow, shall we? Please?

But tonight, I'll sign off with great thanks and a hearty Happy Birthday to the Reverend Doctor King, may he rest in peace. I like to think of him looking down from heaven and smiling at this wonderful performance by the 4th graders from Watkins Elementary School in Washington, DC (courtesy of PBS NewsHour):


Labels: , , ,

Box Bottom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Box Top Box Bottom